5,200+ Hours of Experience & Counting

The following post is by the Co-founder of WorkingClassParenting.com, Omar De Pablo:

My daughter was our first. My wife is calm and collected, and I am playful, and a bit rough. My daughter's toddler years were spent wrestling and building cushion forts with dad. She was very independent and although we had a good relationship, she wasn’t much of daddy’s little girl. Once after comforting her when she had a nightmare, I was politely told to go back to my room. Mind you she was 2, maybe 3 years old.

As she got older the wrestling and cushion forts faded and her interests changed. With that, so did the type of relationship we've had. Not in a bad way, but more in an emotional way. I quickly realized that daddy’s little girl was growing up. She is now 14 years old.

Child psychologist, James Dobson indicates that a girls life will be influenced positively and negatively by the way she perceives and interacts with her father. Her self-worth and self-esteem hinge on that relationship. (from Ron Luce's book "It's Only a Tattoo")

Shortly after that revelation, I noticed our bond becoming stronger. She gave me more hugs, would walk closer to me, and even would want to hold my hand in public. Not common for a preteen.

Ron Luce writes in “It's Only a Tattoo”; “Daughters need to know that their fathers accept them as women and not just as little girls. Daughters need physical affection from their fathers, although some fathers may feel embarrassed about giving that attention.”

I must admit, it was strange at first. However, only strange because I viewed it through the media’s point of view, and not that of my heavenly father. If daughters view future relationships based on the health of their relationships with their fathers, then I want my daughter to experience unconditional love and be confident in love.

When my daughter was around 12 years old, there was a former school mate of hers sitting two people over and one row back from us at a local fair. After speaking with my wife and mustering up the courage, he shouts my daughter's name. "Jenesis, I think you are very beautiful!" Taking her attention from the activities, she turns and replies, “my dad tells me that all the time”. I guess that’s all I have to say about that.

This is a picture of my daughter, far left, mid way through her first 30 day African Missions trip.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips for Soccer parents to remember from a Pastor

5 Tips for Fathers on Love and Discipline

Monday Morning After Hurricane Sandy