A Teacher's Reaction to the Sandy Hook Tragedy

Guest post written by Jomary Schulz, 3rd grade public school teacher

Today as I drove up to my Elementary School I took in the surroundings and viewed it a bit differently than I did last Friday when I had left and had not heard of the tragedy that happened in Connecticut. This morning as I drove up to park my car, on the radio I heard the brief discription of 2 of the children that lost their lives during the unspeakable last Friday. As I walked into my classroom this morning and got ready to unlock my door, I couldn't stop thinking about it all.....

About the parents of my students mostly. Thinking about how everyday they send their child to school expecting to see them when they get out. I thought about the immense responsibility that is laid upon us as educators and classroom teachers. As I taught at school today I thought about the young lives sitting in front of me, each and everyone of them. How special they are to their parents, how special they are to our God, and how special they are to me.

As a classroom teacher I realize that it is my responsibility to keep these children safe and I will do everything in my power to see that happen! 

As I left my classroom this afternoon, I felt a sense of relief....all of my students had stayed safe and all of my students had arrived home.

As I walked into school to pick up my daughter, I gave her a bigger kiss today and a longer hug. What a blessing it is to be a parent.

 I want to be able to give something to those at Sandy Hook Elementary School, and this week my students and I will.  We will write letters of support and encouragement to the children and staff at that school and hopefully shine a little light that says you are in our thoughts, you are in our prayers, we are sorry for what has happened, but know that you are in our hearts!

I encourage you to write letters as well with your children. Here is the address to the school:
Sandy Hook Elementary
12 Dickenson Drive
Newtown, CT 06482

They have heard that they are in our prayers, let's show them that they are in our hearts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tips for Soccer parents to remember from a Pastor

5 Tips for Fathers on Love and Discipline

Monday Morning After Hurricane Sandy